from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An organic structure, such as the soft palate, that closes an opening in the body.
  • n. A prosthetic device serving to close an opening in the body.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An object used to obstruct a hole.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Serving as an obturator; closing an opening; pertaining to, or in the region of, the obturator foramen.
  • n. That which closes or stops an opening.
  • n. An apparatus designed to close an unnatural opening, as a fissure of the palate.
  • n. Any device for preventing the escape of gas through the breech mechanism of a breech-loading gun; a gas check.
  • n. A camera shutter.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. That which closes or stops up an entrance, cavity, or the like.
  • n. In photography, the instantaneous shutter of a camera.
  • n. Anything used to close the orifice of a hollow instrument, such as a speculum or catheter, during its introduction.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a prosthesis used to close an opening (as to close an opening of the hard palate in cases of cleft palate)


From Latin obtūrō ("to stop, block up"). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.