from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the cells forming the outer surface of dental pulp that produces the dentin of a tooth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cell on the outer surface of dental pulp that produces tooth dentin
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the more or less columnar cells on the outer surface of the pulp of a tooth; an odontoplast. They are supposed to be connected with the formation of dentine.
- n. One of the cells which secrete the chitinous teeth of Mollusca.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cell by which dentine is developed; a cell which produces dentinal tissue, the special substance which largely composes teeth.
In this way the entire thickness of the dentin is developed, each canaliculus being completed throughout its whole length by a single odontoblast.
In the nucleus DMP1 might play an important role in the regulation of genes that control osteoblast or odontoblast differentiation.