from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not under the control of a central computer, as in a manufacturing process or experiment.
- adj. Not connected to a computer or computer network.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a system, currently not connected (generally electrically) to a larger network. For example, a power plant which is not connected to the grid, or a computer which is not connected to the Internet or to any other communications service.
- adj. Happening in the physical world (the real world) as opposed to on the internet.
- adv. While offline; with an offline system.
- adv. Outside the current meeting, in a more private setting.
The term "offline" denotes being behind the times, even backwards.
CMU's researchers could identify only about one third of their subjects in what they called "offline to online recognition."
The success of your business both online and offline is very important to us, which is why today we'd like to share a message from David Fischer, our VP of Global Online Sales and Operations:
They give you gigabytes of storage space, yet, when it's filled to capacity, moving your data from online to offline is a painful process.
Putting incompetence online instead of just offline is still the same incompetence.
Can we pursue these Author 2.0 options when we also have a traditional print publisher, and aim to appear in offline media, events, etc?
Those who decide to remain offline will make better work than those online.
The Golden Rule, and treating people as you would treat them offline is a good start, but just in case, here are some guidelines for how not to act on Facebook, and other social networking sites.
Just as in offline bullying, there is usually someone either with the person who hits "post" or is the person who receives the "sext" or even the person who rates or "likes" the images online.
Disney Princess Posters can be purchased in offline stores as well as in online stores such as Amazon and other shops such as Allposters and various other interesting places.