from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Of or pertaining to a town or conurbation.
  • n. A town dweller.
  • n. A class of student in traditional English public schools such as Eton; opposed to colleger or King's Scholar.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Of or pertaining to a town.
  • n. An inhabitant of a town.
  • n. A student of Eton College, England, who is not a King's scholar, and who boards in a private family.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Pertaining to a town; town.
  • n. An inhabitant of a town.
  • n. At Eton College, a student who is not on the foundation, and who boards with one of the masters or with a private family in the town: distinguished from a colleger.


From Latin oppidum, "town." (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.