from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of, relating to, or constituting an organic compound containing a metal, especially a compound in which a metal atom is bonded directly to a carbon atom.
from The Century Dictionary.
- In chem., an epithet applied to compounds in which an organic radical, as ethyl, is directly combined with a metal, to distinguish them from other organic compounds containing metals, in which the metal is indirectly united to the radical by the intervention of oxygen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Chem.) Pertaining to, or denoting, any one of a series of compounds of certain metallic elements bound to organic radicals; such as, methylmercury, zinc methyl, sodium ethyl, etc.; formerly refered to as
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective chemistry of, or relating to
organic compoundshaving a metal atomdirectly bondedto a carbonatom
- noun chemistry Any organometallic
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ziegler demonstrated that certain organometallic compounds (see
Instead of using metals to propel a chemical reaction (a standard method called organometallic catalysis widely used in the creation of pharmaceuticals), the team developed a way to use organic chemicals such as carbon in the reaction, an environmentally safer, easier and cheaper way to produce drugs.
Geoffrey Wilkinson independently described a completely new group of organometallic molecules, called sandwich compounds.
At that time organometallic chemistry was in its infancy and it provided a fertile field for a mechanistic chemist.
The faculty at Caltech had created a rich environment for the training of outstanding graduate students, and these students, along with creative postdoctoral fellows and new faculty colleagues allowed my program to grow in many directions to take advantage of the growing field of organometallic catalysts.
I moved to the Midwest to take a postdoc at a large research university where I performed a mix of organic and organometallic research.
Always looking for new ways to reduce the use of light bulbs with something other than the mercury-laden fluorescent ones, the Purdue team has used the common techniques of reactive sputter deposition and organometallic vapor phase epitaxy to come up with viable LED technology that will finally make our incandescent technology obsolete.
Both diagrams refer to the same compounds, but the depicted graph representations are not identical. b 2D diagram of ferrocene, which, like all organometallic compounds, is difficult to represent with classical chemoinformatics approaches.
We discovered that it was important to develop a commercial source of this organometallic reagent so that other researchers could try the reaction without making a major investment of time in developing the techniques for making the reagent.
Working on projects involving metals confirmed my desire to turn my research toward transition metal organometallic chemistry and I obtained an NIH fellowship to work with Jim Collman who had just moved to Stanford.