from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball A player who defends left, center, or right field.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A player that plays in the outfield, which is the outer portion of the field
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person who plays in the outfield.
- n. A fielder in cricket who is stationed in the outfield.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ball-games, one of the fielders who is posted in the out-field.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (baseball) a person who plays in the outfield
- n. a fielder in cricket who is stationed in the outfield
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The 26-year-old outfielder is batting just .205/.302/.337 over 83 at-bats this season.
This outfielder is generally considered one of the greatest ballplayers that ever played.
That's fine, but to make the transition from pitcher to slugging outfielder is phenomenal.
The slugging outfielder is viewed as a winner after release of the Mitchell Report after getting just one mention in the study.
In addition, the Diamondbacks called up one of their top prospects in outfielder Chris Young.
The 27-year-old outfielder is batting .305 with five homers and
In midseason, as the Cubs staggered following an injury to outfielder Corey Patterson, Hendry brought in outfielder Kenny Lofton, third baseman Aramis Ramirez and first baseman Randall Simon from the Pittsburgh Pirates in two deals.
The San Francisco Giants outfielder is the best player in the game today and maybe the most feared hitter ever.
The Giants have brought in outfielder Reggie Sanders, leadoff hitter Tsuyoshi Shinjo and third baseman
The veteran outfielder is 7-for-18 as a pinch hitter this season.