from The Century Dictionary.
- To make excessive display or flourish of.
- To flourish or adorn superficially.
- To exaggerate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To make excessive display or flourish of.
- transitive verb obsolete To embellish with outward ornaments or flourishes; to varnish over.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb obsolete To make excessive
- verb obsolete To
embellishwith outward ornamentsor flourishes; to varnishover.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Well I had rather follow his vein, the which was to speak simply and plainly to the common people's understanding, than to overflourish with superfluous speech, although I might thereby be counted equal with the best that ever wrote English. "