from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Having an upper part projecting beyond the lower.
- adjective Operated by water that flows over the top from above.
- noun A pattern in weaving made when filling threads are passed over two or more warp threads.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Exceeded in shooting or in any effort; surpassed.
- Having exceeded proper limits in drinking; intoxicated; tipsy.
- noun A mill with an overshot wheel.
- Having the upper teeth projecting beyond the lower: said of some dogs. Contrasted with undershot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Having the upper teeth projecting beyond the lower; -- said of the jaws of some dogs.
- adjective From
overshoot, v. t.
- adjective a vertical water wheel, the circumference of which is covered with cavities or buckets, and which is turned by water which shoots over the top of it, filling the buckets on the farther side and acting chiefly by its weight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb Simple past tense and past participle of
- adjective of a waterwheel
poweredby waterthat flowsover the topfrom above
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective having an upper part projecting beyond the lower
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The gravity of water we use as moving force, the most direct application being in what are called overshot wheels, one of which is represented in FIG.
Gold also remains underpinned by concerns about longer-term inflation, as well as some uncertainty about whether the equity market possibly "overshot" during the rally in recent months, Mr. Meger said.
A number of ecological economists claim that industrial civilization has already "overshot" the carrying capacity of the Earth, and "smart growth" is mostly an illusion.
That valuation was much higher than the price-to-earnings ratio of 52 at Nasdaq-listed rival business-to-business search engine Global Sources Ltd. and the 177 P/E ratio of Chinese-language Internet-search provider Baidu. com Inc.Mr. Lai said he expects bargain hunters to sell the "overshot" Alibaba. com and use the funds to buy market laggards.
'In short, we can see if the VIX has' overshot 'to the downside relative to changes in other cross asset risk metrics.
Traders "overshot" on the dollar's weakness and "we're now seeing a reversal of that," said Jeffrey Young, head of North America foreign exchange research at
The restored mill has a 36 '"overshot" waterwheel so called because water pours on top of the wheel, directed there by a long "flume" that brings water from a nearby pond.
Goa Sampark Kranti Express apparently "overshot" the ...
Equities have "overshot" to the downside, thus resulting in excessively low valuations
Amritsar bound Jansewa Express train collided with a goods train in Uttar Pradesh's Bareilly district as the passenger train driver 'overshot' a red signal while the other train was changing tracks.