from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To play a trump higher than one previously played on a trick.
- transitive v. To trump with a higher trump card than any played on the same trick.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To play a higher trump card than the previous one in a trick
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To trump (a plain suit) with a higher trump than that already played by another person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. play a trump higher than (one previously played) to the trick
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In a beautifully judged wedding dress that, nevertheless, did not seek to outdo and overtrump the frocks and trains of the past.
I have played the game with a man who always keeps his brother to the end, and then brings him out with enormous success, the said brother never failing to overtrump any other card in the pack!