from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See salsify.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. salsify
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant found on the seacoast of Northern Europe, America and Asia (Mertensia maritima), the fresh leaves of which have a strong flavor of oysters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sea-lungwort, Mertensia maritima, whose leaves have an oyster flavor.
- n. The goat's-beard or salsify, Tragopogon porrifolius. See salsify. Also called vegetable oyster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. edible root of the salsify plant
- n. long white salsify
- n. Mediterranean biennial herb with long-stemmed heads of purple ray flowers and milky sap and long edible root; naturalized throughout United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.