from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A thin leaf of metal, as for use in gilding or enameling, or to show through a translucent medium.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Bright metal foil, used in decorative art to show through a thickness of enamel or painting to alter its color or give it brilliancy; by extension, gilding applied upon a surface, as of wood, papier-maché, etc., upon which painting is to be done in translucent colors.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.