from The Century Dictionary.
- noun [lowercase] An instrument for determining the error of a ship's compass by the bearing of celestial objects.
- noun The typical and only living genus of Palinuridæ. P. vulgaris is known as the spiny lobster, rock-lobster, or sea-crawfish.
- noun A genus of stromateoid fishes: same as
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Naut.) An instrument for obtaining directly, without calculation, the true bearing of the sun, and thence the variation of the compass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun type genus of the family Palinuridae
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Bismarck might have been called the palinurus of William, emperor of
After all, there’s not enough police out there to put a cop on every corner!! on June 26, 2008 at 10: 29 pm | Reply palinurus