from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Producing effects similar to those produced when a parasympathetic nerve is stimulated.
- n. A drug or agent that produces such effects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Acting by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system.
- n. A parasympathomimetic drug.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having an effect similar to that resulting from stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system
Sorry, no etymologies found.
All these peripheral muscarine actions, these parasympathomimetic effects of acetylcholine, were very readily abolished by atropine.
Reference compound and vehicle information Agent Type of agent Astemizole antihistamine Ketoconazole antifungus Quinidine antiarrhythmia Verapamil L-type calcium channel blocker Cisapride parasympathomimetic and gastroprokinetic agent 0. 25% DMSO vehicle (Negative control) Table 2.