from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Earth, ore, or gravel that is profitable to mine.
- noun Informal A useful or profitable discovery or venture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Mining), Western U. S. Earth, rock, etc., which yields a profit to the miner.
- a discovery, especially after an exploratory process, which yields a profit or sought-after benefit; -- used especially in the phrase “to hit pay dirt”.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun mining
Earthwhich contains profitable quantities of ore.
- noun figuratively A
profitablearea or period; success.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a profitable success
- noun ore that yields a substantial profit to the miner
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.