from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish whose bones resemble the teeth of a comb.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a comb; resembling a comb.
- n. A fish whose bones resemble comb teeth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Comb-like; pertaining to a pecten or pectination; pectineal.
- n. A sawfish which has teeth projecting from each side of an elongated rostrum, and the eyes directed upward. See Pristis.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The silver-fir, of a whitish colour, like rosemary under the leaf, is distinguished from the rest, by the pectinal shape of it: The cones not so large as the _picea_, grow also upright, and this they call the female: For I find botanists not unanimously agreed about the sexes of trees.