from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. pelagic; of or pertaining to the sea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the sea; marine; pelagic.
- n. A follower of Pelagius, a British monk, born in the later part of the 4th century, who denied the doctrines of hereditary sin, of the connection between sin and death, and of conversion through grace.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Pelagius, or to his doctrines.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as pelagic.
- n. A pelagic animal.
- Of or pertaining to Pelagius or Pelagianism.
- n. A follower of Pelagius; one who believes in Pelagianism.
- Inhabiting islands in the open sea.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Orthodoxy does not disagree with the condemnation of Celestius, given a proper definition of what exactly Celestius taught rather than a pop apologetic caricature of a 'pelagian' bogeyman.
Arnauld objected that this solution is “more pelagian than anything in Pelagius,” and that one must side with Augustine, who declared Pelagianism a heresy.
Whoever said semi-pelagian synergists at best like Rob Bell aren't "spiritual."
Churches, they had embraced the Semi-pelagian doctrine before
Though the narrow circle within which all certain traditions are confined, does not present any of those general revolutions which have heaved up the Cordilleras and buried myriads of pelagian animals; yet
Analogous circumstances may have caused, in the ancient catastrophes of our planet, that singular mixture of pelagian and fluviatile bones and petrifactions, which is observed in some rocks of recent formation.
Though the narrow circle within which all certain traditions are confined, does not present any of those general revolutions which have heaved up the Cordilleras and buried myriads of pelagian animals; yet Nature, acting under our eyes, nevertheless exhibits violent though partial changes, the study of which may throw light on the most remote epochs.
Nudge, his books and teachings remain filled with this mystical theology and its near pelagian view of mankind.
All of this people-pleasing preaching put forth by today's semi-pelagian evangelical compromisers in the ECoD that somehow we are entitled to-and even expected to-have a "successful" purpose of self-introspective spirituality leading to a distorted view of an abundant best life now.
And most recently through his ministering minions in the semi-pelagian or centered on man