from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various acids containing the peroxy group.
- n. An inorganic acid, such as perchloric acid, containing the largest proportion of oxygen in a series of related acids.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any acid that contains a peroxy group - e.g. peracetic acid
- n. The oxyacid of a particular element that has the largest number of oxygen atoms - e.g. perchloric acid
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An acid containing more than the usual amount of oxygen, as acetperacid (CH3CO2.OH), and benzoperacid (C6H5.C02.OH). Many of the peracids are extremely powerful germicides.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.