from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sterile parts of a flower; collectively, the sepals and petals (or tepals); the perianth.
- n. The modified leaves around the antheridia in a bryophytic plant.
- n. The wall of the sporosac in a hydroid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as perigone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hydroida, a sac formed by the more external parts of the gonophore.
- n. In botany, same as perigone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. collective term for the outer parts of a flower consisting of the calyx and corolla and enclosing the stamens and pistils
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At the top of the axis in the male plant rise the antheridia, surrounded by an envelope of modified leaves called the perigonium.