from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Without the intervention of another; in person: I thanked them personally.
- adv. As far as oneself is concerned: Personally, I don't mind.
- adv. As a person: I admire his skill but dislike him personally.
- adv. In a personal manner: Don't take the disparaging remarks personally.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In a personal manner
- adv. in person
- adv. Concerning oneself.
- adv. As a person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a personal manner; by bodily presence; in person; not by representative or substitute.
- adv. With respect to an individual; as regards the person; individually; particularly.
- adv. With respect to one's individuality; as regards one's self.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a personal manner; in person; by bodily presence; not by representative or substitute: as, to be personally persent; to deliver a letter personally.
- With respect to an individual; as an individual.
- As regards one's personal exitence or individuality: as, to remain personally the same being.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. concerning the speaker
- adv. as a person
- adv. in the flesh; without involving anyone else
- adv. in a personal way
- adv. as yourself
* Similarly Obama delivered the word personally to Michael Froman that he would have to voluntarily give up his Citigroup bonus if he wanted to join the government.
Thankfully, FUNimation has decided to take on the title personally now by bringing over the third and fourth stages of the show while also planning to re-dub and re-work the first two stages for later release.
In fact, some of them were truly vitriolic, mostly from students (presumably) who had taken the "you" in the title personally, and decided to respond in kind.
Maxwell Salzberg, Daniel Grippi and Raphael Sofaer - floated their idea for what they called a "personally controlled, do-it-all, open-source social network" on an Internet fund-raising platform called Kickstarter.
This will make it much easier for him to pay the massive fines and damages he will incur when he loses the multiple court cases where he personally is the named defendent.
I think the better question is: will the anti-American Attorney General accept responsibility for his actions, and admit that he, personally, is responsible for allowing someone to be attacked or killed simply due to his anti-American zealotry?
What I think would be best personally, is a moratorium on all new coal plants – we have enough of them to deal with. (besides, so many plans for new coal plants have gone to the chopping block anyway)
Those are generous assumptions about how much Obama could move the needle, but more importantly you are assuming that the level of association between the health care bill and Obama personally is fixed.
I remember reading that essay when it appeared, and thinking, What has Kazin personally got against Zinn?
To patronize someone who hates you personally is a different matter, but personal hatred and political disagreement are not the same thing and neither has ever been a justification for the other, notwithstanding exhortations that "the personal is the political."