from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The stalk of a leaflet in a compound leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The petiole of a pinna or pinnule.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small petiole, or the petiole of a leaflet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a little or partial petiole, such as belong to the leaflets of compound leaves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the stalk of a leaflet
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The latter observer considers that the funiculus, with the integuments, is the equivalent of a leaflet, the petiolule or midrib of which answers to the funiculus, and its hollow expansion to the integument.