from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Rock; stone: petroglyph.
- Petroleum: petrochemistry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- of or pertaining to stone
- of or pertaining to petroleum-based products
- Pertaining to, or funded by, oil export
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A combining form from Gr. pe`tra a rock, pe`tros a stone.
The answer to improving our energy use / utilization is not to punish petro- nor favor alternatives.