from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Ptolemy Philadelphus, or to one of the cities named Philadelphia, esp. the modern city in Pennsylvania.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Philadelphia.
- n. One of a society of mystics of the seventeenth century, -- called also the Family of Love.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Philadelphia, the chief city of Pennsylvania, situated on the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the city of Philadelphia.
- Pertaining to Ptolemy Philadelphus, king of Egypt, 283-247 b. c., a patron of literature, science, and art.
- n. One of a short-lived mystical denomination founded in England in the end of the seventeenth century.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
| Reply | Permalink if joey vento loves america so much, why does he support the most un-american institution of them all: the confederate states of america? it makes me embarrassed that he is a philadelphian, and, for the record, i prefer my cheesesteak chopped (like pats & jims) not sliced (like genos).