from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A method of teaching elementary reading and spelling based on the phonetic interpretation of ordinary spelling.
- noun Phonetics.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The doctrine or science of sounds, especially those of the human voice; phonetics.
- noun The art of combining musical sounds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun same as
- noun a method of teaching reading and spelling to beginning students, emphasizing the sound values of individual letters and syllables, and the relationship between pronunciation and spelling. Contrasted to
whole language methodand sentence method.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
studyof how the soundsof wordsare represented by spelling.
- noun A
methodof teaching elementary readingbased on the phonetic interpretationof normalspelling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun teaching reading by training beginners to associate letters with their sound values
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
A solid foundation in phonics is now requirement in UK schools, starting from around age four.
Synthetic phonics is another system that has been around for a long time and taught me to read many years ago.
Synthetic phonics is a method to teach reading which emphasises first learning the …
Synthetic phonics is a method to teach reading which emphasises first learning the … kindergarten activities patterns | Kindergarten Sight Words
Also phonics, is great, they teach letter sounds and how to blend, maybe that is his problem. also reading to him every night is very important, and getting him to follow along! csucdartgirl
It also seems to me that a little bit of phonics is very useful and goes a long way, but at some point you pass the threshold and have to switch to a whole language approach. blah Says:
In general, phonics is better for kids who are in danger of never learning to read, while whole word is better for helping smarter kids read faster.
Zoo-phonics is a wonderful way to teach younger children the letters and their sounds.
This dichotomy between “whole language” and phonics is false.
Learning phonics is time consuming but it is something your child has to do to be able to read properly.