from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A reusable electric lamp that produces a bright continuous light for photographic illumination. Also called photoflood lamp.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A lamp that produces a broad beam of continuous bright light; used to illuminate a photographic subject

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. light that is a source of artificial illumination having a broad beam; used in photography


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • This ctenophore seems to be exhibiting bioluminescence, but what the “lights” actually represent is reflection or refraction of the photoflood lights from rhythmically beating cilia.

    Bloodybelly Comb Jelly

  • I find that the bidirectional lights work well, but without photoflood bulbs I get an unnatural blue tinge - that sends me back to Photoshop.

    Let there be light and buckshot

  • My father built in about 6000 watts of photoflood lighting and 12 planes of glass about 24x36.

    In Glorious Multiplane - 1

  • The thick cord of an antiquated electric bowl fire shared a power-point with the thinner cord of a photoflood lamp and reflector on a tall metal stand.

    Frost at Christmas


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.