from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various branchiopod crustaceans having swimming and respiratory appendages that resemble leaves.
- adj. Of or relating to the phyllopods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several branchiopod crustaceans whose appendages resemble leaves
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Phyllopoda. [Also used adjectively.]
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having foliaceous feet; having the limbs expanded and flattened like leaves; specifically, of or pertaining to the Phyllopoda.
- n. A crustacean of the order Phyllopoda.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But this is by no means all, -- not only is there this external resemblance between the thoracic armour of the crustacean and the bivalve shell, but the two sides of the ostracod and phyllopod thorax are connected together also by an adductor muscle!