from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The fine vascular membrane that closely envelops the brain and spinal cord under the arachnoid and the dura mater.
from The Century Dictionary.
- The delicate fibrous and very vascular membrane which immediately invests the brain and spinal cord.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Anat.) The delicate and highly vascular membrane immediately investing the brain and spinal cord.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun anatomy The inner most of the
meningesmembranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the highly vascular innermost of the 3 meninges
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English, from Medieval Latin pia māter : Latin pia, tender + Latin māter, mother (translation of Arabic ’umm raqīqa : ’umm, mother + raqīqa, tender).]
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.