from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fine vascular membrane that closely envelops the brain and spinal cord under the arachnoid and the dura mater.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The inner most of the meninges membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The delicate and highly vascular membrane immediately investing the brain and spinal cord.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The delicate fibrous and very vascular membrane which immediately invests the brain and spinal cord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the highly vascular innermost of the 3 meninges
The edema of the brain, irregular pink mottlings of white substance, and an exudative lesion of one focus in the pia mater of the right side suggested an encephalitis more marked on the right side.
The frontal pia mater was greatly thickened and, although no gross lesions were noted in the cortex, the microscope brings out marked lesions in the shape of cell losses (especially in suprastellate layers) in all areas examined.