from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for measuring pressure, especially high pressure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument used to measure pressure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the compressibility of liquids.
- n. A gauge connected with a water main to show the pressure at that point.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any instrument for ascertaining or testing pressure.
- n. An instrument for showing the compressibility of water or other liquid, and the degree of such compressibility under varying pressures.
- n. An instrument consisting essentially of a vertical tube inserted into a water-main, to show the pressure of the fluid at that point, by the height to which it ascends in the tube of the piezometer.
- n. A sounding-apparatus in which advantage is taken of the compression of air in a tube by the pressure of the water at great depths to indicate the depth of the water.
- n. An instrument for testing the pressure of gas in the bore of a gun.
- n. An instrument for measuring the degree of resistance of the tissues of the body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a measuring instrument for measuring high pressures
This plan was developed based on additional information acquired from recent hydrological drilling and piezometer testing.