from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A block that encloses and supports a journal or shaft; a bearing.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a metal block for supporting a rotating shaft; a bearing

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a block, or standard, for supporting a journal, as of a shaft. It is usually bolted to the frame or foundation of a machine, and is often furnished with journal boxes, and a movable cover, or cap, for tightening the bearings by means of bolts; -- called also pillar block, or plumber block.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a cast-iron or steel block for supporting a journal or bearing


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.