from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A small balloon used to determine wind velocity.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A small balloon sent up in advance of a larger one to ascertain the direction and strength of the wind.
- noun A small balloon used for ascertaining the direction of air-currents at different levels: most frequently used before ascents of manned balloons.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- A small, unmanned balloon sent up to indicate the direction of air currents.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun meteorology A small
unmannedballoon whose ascentis followed by a theodoliteto obtain datafor the computationof the speedand directionof winds in the upper air.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun meteorological balloon used to observe air currents
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.