from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Money for incidental expenses.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An allowance or occasional gift made by a husband to his wife, either voluntarily or as a part of the marriage settlement, for her separate use, to be employed in the purchase of apparel or of ornaments for her person, or for other personal expenditure.
- noun A similar allowance made to any one, as to a daughter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun idiomatic, dated A relatively small sum of
cashkept in one's personal possession, for routine expensesor incidentalpurchases; an amount of money which is not particularly significant.
- noun idiomatic, dated An
allowanceof money given by a man to his wife or to other dependentsfor their personal, discretionaryuse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun cash for day-to-day spending on incidental expenses
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.