from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fleshy white or reddish plant (Monotropa hypopithys) growing as a saprophyte or parasite on tree roots and having racemes with a few drooping flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A myco-heterotroph, formerly thought to be a saprophyte, Monotropa hypopitys, having racemes of drooping flowers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A reddish fleshy herb of the genus Monotropa (Monotropa hypopitys), formerly thought to be parasitic on the roots of pine trees, but more probably saprophytic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tawny or reddish fleshy plant, Hypopitys multiflora (Monotropa Hypopitys), resembling the Indian-pipe, but having several smaller flowers in a raceme.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fleshy tawny or reddish saprophytic herb resembling the Indian pipe and growing in woodland humus of eastern North America; in some classifications placed in a separate genus Hypopitys
A heavy, damp wind blew from the north, leaving a film on my skin sticky as pinesap.
"Some pinesap, lots of hot water and soap, and it'll come off."
He reeked of fire: smoke and pinesap and scorched cloth, and the bitter tang of turpentine.
Another man came to help, and together they unloaded the barrels-plainly heavy-from the mule, and upended them into the kettle, one at a time, with a great whoosh of pungent yellowish pinesap.
Spent morning packing awning away and cleaning pinesap off, it bikes are now on new carriers, all ready for morning.
Now all of the gods from and pinesap are fledgeless composedly and low on the athene genovese to celsius faintly that a sylvan prosecution.
Marmaris villagers and environmentalists have been organizing protests to halt the mining activities in the region, saying the natural landscape of the villages was being harmed and, in particular, the pinesap-producing area of Turkey was being destroyed.