from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A machine for bending sheet-iron stove-pipe in the operation of making elbows.
- n. A flexible mandrel formed of a strong, closely wound steel helix, which is inserted in a soft metal pipe in order that it may be bent without distortion.
- n. A machine for bending brass, copper, or iron pipe for cooling-coils or radiators.
- n. A concave anvil or block on which sheet-metal is curved to form a pipe.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Brady spent more than a week and $400 worth of materials to build the pipe-bender, which heats metals to high temperatures to make them pliable.
- When Calallen High School junior Brady Newcomb, 17, saw a family friend's hydraulic pipe-bender machine, he saw how handy it could be in all kinds of shop projects.
Giuffre grabbed a pipe-bender out of his garage, broke a window and crawled into the burning house to rescue Hilario.