from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The account kept in the English exchequer containing the summaries and authoritative details of the national treasury: also called the Great Roll. It was so named from its shape in the middle ages.
  • n. A roller whose diameter is smaller at the center than at the ends, used as a support for a pipe so that the latter may be free to move endwise when it expands or contracts because of a change of temperature.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.