from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Sports A stop at a pit for refueling or service during an automobile race.
- noun A brief stop for rest and refreshment, especially during a road trip.
- noun A place where such a stop is made.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Auto Racing) A stop by one of the competing cars in a pit by the side of the racetrack, to take on gasoline, change tires, or perform other maintenance.
- noun Any pause in a journey, to eat or drink, or to use a rest room.
- noun A place where one may make a
pit stop[1 or 2].
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun motor racing A stop made during an automobile
raceat the pit to refueland perform other periodic maintenanceon the vehicle.
- noun A brief stop for fuel, rest and/or refreshment during an automobile journey.
- noun A stop during any pedestrian or automobile travel for any utilitarian personal purpose, especially use of a bathroom.
- noun A place that offers food, beverages, and other goods and services for those stopping on an automobile journey.
- noun A utilitarian stop on a figurative journey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a stop during an automobile trip for rest and refreshment
- noun a brief stop at a pit during an automobile race to take on fuel or service the car
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Literally, a stop at the pit of an automobile race track.
Sorry, no example sentences found.