from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Talisia esculenta, a South American tree.
- n. Eugenia luschnathiana, an evergreen shrub of Brazil.
- n. The sweetish-sour brown-skinned fruit of Talisia esculenta.
- n. The globose orange-yellow berry of Eugenia luschnathiana.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tree of the myrtle family, Eugenia Luschnathiana, native to northern Brazil, which bears edible fruit.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The region has native fruits like araticum, buriti, cagaita, ingá, jatobá, magaba, pitaya, pitomba and pequi that are eaten regionally but are often little known in the rest of Brazil.
I've used this on miracle fruit, coffee, pitomba, jaboticaba and lychee.