from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An instrument that measures the area of a plane figure as a mechanically coupled pointer traverses the perimeter of the figure.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An integrating device used to measure the area of an irregular figure via tracing its outline

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An instrument for measuring the area of any plane figure, however irregular, by passing a tracer around the bounding line; a platometer.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An instrument for measuring a plane area by carrying a tracer round its periphery, and noting the change of reading of a scale.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a measuring instrument for measuring the area of an irregular plane figure


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.