from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Designed to be plugged in to an electric circuit: a plug-in game.
- n. Computer Science See add-in.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Designed to be plugged into an electrical power outlet or circuit.
- n. A computer program module or device that interacts with another to add a specific function, or to support a specific file format or device.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots in a computer to increase the computer's capabilities
The terms PHEV20 and PHEV60 refer to plug-in hybrids with electric drive ranges of 20 km and 60 km, respectively 12.5 and 37.5 miles.
The F3DM can be described as a plug-in hybrid, but dual mode - that's what the DM stands for - is more accurate.
According to Rupert Baines, marketing head of Picochip Ltd., a more realistic application for a tiny plug-in cell is to make it work with cable boxes or Internet routers, to convert them into femtocells.
The tool is a plug-in for the Eclipse integrated development environment.
The two-seat concept car is built out of carbon fiber and uses a plug-in hybrid/diesel powertrain.
The plug-in car grant was conceived as a £230m incentive by the Labour government to cut the upfront cost of electric vehicles, which typically cost at least a third more than rival, conventional combustion engine cars.
Toyota promises cleaner, cheaper 'plug-in' Prius hybrid
Motorists will have a choice of just one subsidised car to buy outright as the project is launched – the Mitsubishi i-MiEV – but should have a choice of nine or 10 fully electric and plug-in hybrid cars by 2012.
—Bright Automotive Inc., a startup developing plug-in, hybrid-electric delivery vans, reached an agreement to have its vehicles assembled by AM General LLC, the military contractor that produced the original Hummer.
Google eventually hopes to develop a similar plug-in for other browsers as well, Harvey and Moonka added.