from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A line from which a weight is suspended to determine verticality or depth.
- noun A line regarded as directed exactly toward the earth's center of gravity.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A cord or line to one end of which is attached a metal bob or weight, used to determine vertical direction, depth of water, etc.; a plummet.
- To measure, sound, or test by means of a plumb-line.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
cordwith a weightattached, used to produce a verticalline.
- noun Any vertical
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a cord from which a metal weight is suspended pointing directly to the earth's center of gravity; used to determine the vertical from a given point
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.