from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stalklike outgrowth of the thallus of certain lichens, bearing the apothecium.
- n. A stalklike growth or process.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stalk which bears the fructification in some lichens, such as the reindeer moss.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stalk which bears the fructification in some lichens, as in the so-called reindeer moss.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, in certain lichens, the shrubby or stalk-like outgrowth of the thallus, bearing exposed hymenia; also, any stalk-like elevation. See cuts under Cladonia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an organ or body resembling a stalk; especially the outgrowth of the thallus of certain lichens on which the ascocarp is borne
New Latin, from Greek pous, pod-, foot; see -pod.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
New Latin, from Ancient Greek foot. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.