from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A thin plate of tinned iron, usually the full size of the leaf, placed between the cover and first leaf and between the cover and last leaf of a book, to prevent the progress of dampness in a newly pasted-up book, and to keep the linings smooth.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.