from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The slender tube formed by the pollen grain that penetrates an ovule and releases the male gametes.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. the tube that develops from the wall of a pollen grain and, in seed plants, provides a passage through which the male nuclei reach the embryo sac to effect fertilization

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a slender tube which issues from the pollen grain on its contact with the stigma, which it penetrates, thus conveying, it is supposed, the fecundating matter of the grain to the ovule.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In botany, the tube through which the fecundating element is conveyed to the ovule.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. (botany) a slender tubular outgrowth from a pollen grain when deposited on the stigma for a flower; it penetrates the style and conveys the male gametes to the ovule


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.