from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A solid bounded by polygons.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In geometry, a solid bounded by plane faces.
  • noun In optics, a multiplying glass or lens consisting of several plane surfaces disposed in a convex form, through each of which an object is seen; a polyscope.
  • noun In bot.,in Hydrodictyon or water-net, one of the special angular cells with horn-like processes formed by the swarm-cells produced in the zygospore, within each of which a new cœnobium is developed.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Geom.) A body or solid contained by many sides or planes.
  • noun (Opt.) A polyscope, or multiplying glass.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun geometry A solid figure with many flat faces and straight edges.
  • noun optics A polyscope, or multiplying glass.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a solid figure bounded by plane polygons or faces


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From New Latin, from Ancient Greek πολύεδρον (poluedron), from πολύς (polus, "many") + ἕδρα (hedra, "seat"); compare French polyèdre.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word polyhedron.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.