from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The able-bodied men over 15 in a given county who can be summoned by the sheriff to help keep the peace, or arrest a felon; also a group of men so gathered.
- n. Any band of men, especially armed or hostile.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The power of the county, or the citizens who may be summoned by the sheriff to assist the authorities in suppressing a riot, or executing any legal precept which is forcibly opposed.
- A collection of people; a throng; a rabble.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a temporary police force
From Late Latin posse ("to be able (to have)") comitatus ("a company"). (Wiktionary)