from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A possessor; a holder of property.
- n. A member of any religious community endowed with property in lands, buildings, etc., as contrasted with mendicant friars.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A possessor; a property holder.
- n. An invidious name for a member of any religious community endowed with property in lands, buildings, etc., as contrasted with mendicant friars.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who owns or has actual possession of a thing, or power over it; a possessor.
- n. A member of a religious order endowed with lands, etc., as distinguished from those orders whose members lived entirely by alms; a member of one of the orders possessing lands and revenues; a beneficed clergyman.
But he soon won a wider fame as a preacher in London, an adviser of the court, an opponent of the "possessioner" monks, and of the forsworn friars, who, deserting apostolic poverty, vied with the monks in covetousness.
"possessioner" monks, whose lands, he maintained, could be resumed by the representatives of the donors at their will.