from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A notation written on a letter indicating that the letter should be held at the post office until claimed by the addressee.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A postal service in which mail is held at a post office to be collected by the recipient
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In France and other countries of Europe and America, a department in a post-office where letters specially addressed are kept till the owners call for them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a notation written on mail that is to be held at the post office until called for (not in the United States or Canada)
- n. the part of a post office that handles mail for persons who call for it
José’s husband then planned to post his share of the money addressed to himself, poste restante, at his local post office.