from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. At the back of the frontal bone; behind the forehead: a postfrontal suture.
- adj. Toward the rear of the frontal lobe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Behind the frontal bone
- adj. Behind a front
- n. A bone located behind the frontal bone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated behind the frontal bone or the frontal region of the skull; -- applied especially to a bone back of and below the frontal in many animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated behind the forehead: as, a post-frontal bone.
- Posterior with respect to certain gyres of the frontal lobe of the cerebrum.
- n. A bone of the skull of sundry vertebrates, situated at the back part of the brim of the orbit of the eye. It is not recognized as a distinct bone in animals above birds. See cut under Ichthyosauria.
- n. Same as postfrontal shield.
The postfrontal bone is closely joined to the parietal, and has no posterior extension except to the postorbital.
The postorbital is mainly preserved, and it is in con - tact with the frontal (postfrontal) proximally, and sends out no bar posteriorly.
J The fact that the postfrontal and postorbital are not distinct from each other in the Dinosauria with which I am acquainted, makes the determination of the character of the supe - rior arch somewhat difiicult.
There is a superior foramen, however, which is bounded below by the postfrontal bone in front, and the supramastoid be - hind; which are themselves in contact below with the postorbital and the supratem - poral.
The superior arch consists of the supramastoid bone posteriorly, and apparently the postfrontal anteriorly.
Anteriorly this bone joins the postorbital, postfrontal and malar.
In this description and plate the sutural lines snpposed to separate the postfrontal from the postorbital and '' squamosal "are of doubtful existence in the specimen.