from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One who carries or sets explosives.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A boy employed on ships to carry powder from the magazine to the guns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun informal An
explosives expert. A person who sets explosives.
- noun nautical The persons employed to carry
gun powderfrom the ship's magazineto the gun deckduring a battle; in the 18th century Royal British and U. S. Navies, this task (also carrying water) during battles became a permanent nickname for the ship's cabin boysand apprentice seamen.
- noun skiing, snowboarding, informal A
skieror snowboarderwho avidly seeks out the “ powder” (light, dry, fluffy snow).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun someone who carries explosives (as from the magazine to the guns on board a warship)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.