from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A situation in ice hockey, lacrosse, and certain other sports in which one team has a temporary numerical advantage because the other team has had one or more players removed from play on account of a penalty.
- noun An offensive maneuver in a team game, especially in football, in which a massive concentration of players is applied in a certain area.
- noun A strategic maneuver, as in politics, diplomacy, or business, based on the use or threatened use of power as a means of coercion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun ice hockey In
ice hockey, the situation where a team has a numerical advantage on the ice due to one or more penaltiesgiven to the opposing team.
- noun sports A similar situation in other ball games such as
lacrosse, indoor soccer, rugbyand cricket.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a play in which there is a concentration of players in one location on the field of play
- noun (ice hockey) a play in which one team has a numerical advantage over the other as a result of penalties
- noun an aggressive attempt to compel acquiescence by the concentration or manipulation of power
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.