from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A trill consisting of alternation between a written note and the note immediately above it.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The German name for the inverted mordent 01 passing trill (which see, under trill).

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Music) A melodic embellishment consisting of the quick alternation of a principal tone with an auxiliary tone above it, usually the next of the scale; -- called also the inverted mordente.


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[German : prallen, to rebound (alteration of Middle High German prellen) + Triller, trill (from Italian trillo, from trillare, to trill, probably of imitative origin).]


  • The American College Dictionary defines a pralltriller as "an inverted mordent."

    Mordents & Pralltrillers

  • Stanley Kauffmann in his review of Stephen Becker's Marshall Field III calls in question the author's "expertise in the arts" by citing a statement of Mr. Becker on Field's interest in music: "He may not have known a mordant from a pralltriller."



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.