from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Earlier; before; prior to: prehistoric.
- Preparatory; preliminary: premedical.
- In advance: prepay.
- Anterior; in front of: preaxial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Before; used to form words meaning "in front of (in space)".
- Before; used to form words meaning "before (in time)".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A prefix denoting priority (of time, place, or rank); ; preëminent eminent before or above others. Pre- is sometimes used intensively, .
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A prefix in words of Latin origin, meaning ‘before,’ in place, time, or rank.
- n. In petrography, in the quantitative system of classification of igneous rocks (see rock), a prefix used to indicate that one factor predominates over another to an extent greater than 5:3: as, prealkalic, precalcic, prefelic, etc.
The government is modeling the mining rules on the requirements imposed on the oil industry for the so-called pre- salt exploration, the official said.
Over the past decade, federal homeland-security spending above pre-Sept. 11 levels sums to $360 billion.
My work at the Cabrini Medical Center and Hospice pre-Sept. 11 has helped me immeasurably during these past years at the American Red Cross supporting those profoundly impacted by mass fatality disasters.
So, let's take a look at the "controversial" statement about pre-'67 borders.
He said he could not understand why Obama insisted that Israel had to accept pre-'67 borders.
The Iranian regime is the pre- eminent sponsor of terror in the world, a danger to pro-Western states, and the enemy of its own people who strive for democracy.
"When it came to the art of living, the only medium susceptible to my genius was inertia," he writes about his pre- family life.
No, the narrative both pre- and post-9/11 as evidenced by studies of Guantanamo detainees is that those who don't submit to the jihadists' totalitarian version of Islam should be murdered.
Those who accept the historically inaccurate arguments attributing Blacks' seemingly poor educational performance to their lack of desire for educational attainment, need look no further than the pro-education actions of slaves pre- and post- emancipation.
Clearly, the pre-"Respect" Franklin could ace anything the label put before her—from Hoagy Carmichael's "Skylark" to Neal Hefti's "How to Murder Your Wife."